Friday, December 10, 2010

"Put that back where you found it!!"

I guess the point of this blog is to share the stories about the other librarians I work with, weird things that happen to me at work, but mostly just about the people who come into the library I work at.  Something I hear at least once every day that I'm there: "Put that back where you found it!"
The usual scenario: a mom comes in with one or two kids.  They are SO EXCITED to be in the library, picking out books or movies.  Usually movies.  They get so excited, in fact, that they pull everything that looks remotely interesting off the shelf.
"Mom! Can I get this movie? And this one? And this one? Mom? Mom!"
"You can only have one movie.  Pick one of those."
"OK...I want this one!"
"Put that other one back where you found it."
Really mom?  Can't YOU put it back? Do you really think your five year old remembers where he picked that movie out from?  I'm sure you have a better grasp of the alphabet and organization than he does.  Why do you insist on telling your child to put the movie back?  Nine times out of ten (ok, closer to ten times out of ten, I was just trying to be nice) the kid puts it back in the completely wrong spot.  My favorite: when I just finished organizing the entire section, and now everything just got shoved back in the wrong place.
I love my job. I really, really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment