Sunday, August 21, 2011

How I Had the Potential to Become a Homewrecker, But Refrained

I'm pretty sure everyone who reads this knows how much I love reading, and I love it when other people read, and I really love it when parents read to their kids.  This is why I became smitten with this one fellow who came into the library almost every day with his son.  He sat on the floor with his kid and read to him, was very patient when he was interrupted with questions of "What's that?" and such, and was really the only parent I saw interacting with his child that way.  It's pretty sad, if you think about it, that there is one dad in my town who really cares about his kid that much, but that's not really the point of this story.

Oh, and besides being a really awesome dad, he is ridiculously handsome.

Can you blame me for always making a point of putting away children's books while they were in that room?  Don't think of it as me being creepy.  Just think of it as me making my job more enjoyable; remember how boring libraries can be?  Anyway, he started talking to me, just small talk really.  So it got to the point where he always said hi and asked how I was doing and such.  You know, made comments on how quickly I put things away (even though I usually made sure I took my time in there...ahem...) and other equally exciting things. 

So you can imagine my surprise when one day, he came over to me and asked what my plans were for the following evening and would I want to come over and have pizza with him and his son.  What what??  I couldn't believe it.  I told him I would be working at my other job until kind of late, but if that was ok, then I could come over after, and he said ok, and gave me a piece of paper with his number on it.

Score one for me!  But I knew there had to be some kind of catch.

I called him from work the next day.  We confirmed plans, he said by the time I got there his son would probably be asleep, but that was ok.  Then I bit the bullet.

"Ok, that sounds good.  But um...well...I don't want to be weird or anything...but...aren't you married?"
"Oh.  Yeah.  Yeah, I am.  You know what, you're right, maybe we shouldn't do this.  You seem really nice.  I'm sorry."

And then he hung up on me.  I was disappointed times about a million.

I mean, I'm glad I didn't go over and do anything and find out later, because that would have been awful, too.  But this was certainly unpleasant. 

One more reason working at the library is a dangerous job.

No comments:

Post a Comment