Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Funny People

Sometimes, I get to hear the funniest things from the people who come into the library.  Only, sometimes I can't laugh because it's only funny to me, not to them.  That is probably one of the most difficult things I have to do.

One day, a man came in and asked me where he might find books on plumbing.  I usually don't ask why people are looking for a certain book, unless it really captures my interest, but sometimes they'll just volunteer the information.  I showed him the plumbing books, and he said "Oh, yeah, this is great, thanks.  My wife fell on the bathtub faucet and broke it right off."
You can see why this is funny, right?  I imagined so many different scenarios in my head, all of them hilarious, but all I could say to him was, "Well, I hope you can find what you need here."
But if your wife is that clumsy and has enough girth to break the faucet right off, no book is going to help you.

I have one other moment like this that I can remember off the top of my head.  A guy came in and had looked up the number for a book, but couldn't find it, so he wanted me to help him.  What was the book?  It was about bigfoot.  Again, I don't need to know why you are looking for a book on a mythical creature, but sure, feel free to explain yourself anyway.
"Yeah, uh, it's not for me, it's for my stupid friend.  Yeah, he's high all the time.  Thinks he saw something."
That is the one time I nearly lost it and laughed in a person's face.  The way he said it, the whole idea of his "friend" thinking he saw something that was almost certainly bigfoot, well, it was almost too much for me to handle that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment